Traveling north on I-75 / I-275 you probably have noticed the tree clearance at the "wishbone" (apex). Some major improvements recently have begun at this junction:
About the Project
The Florida Department of Transportation’s contractor is building new northbound exit ramps to State Road 56 (SR 56) from both Interstate 75 (I-75) and Interstate 275 (I-275).
- The I-275 northbound lanes will also be realigned within the I-75 / I-275 interchange.
- Northbound I-75 will be widened and resurfaced from the I-275 interchange to SR 56.
- Two bridges will be constructed: A new northbound I-275 exit ramp to SR 56 will cross over I-75 and a bridge will be built across Cypress Creek for northbound I-75 traffic exiting to SR 56.
- Traffic exiting northbound I-275 or I-75 to SR 56 will be separated from mainline traffic to eliminate the need for lane changes.
- Better drainage and lighting in this area.
In order to maintain the construction schedule and to minimize the impact to the public, it is necessary for the contractor to also work at night. Lane closures, traffic shifts, and traffic paces will be necessary during different phases of the project.
Project Limits: from I-275/I-75 interchange to State Road 56
Project Length: 2.3 miles
Estimated Construction Cost: $29.9 million
Start Date: October 17, 2009
Estimated Completion Date: Summer 2012
Thanks to a reader of this blog who provided the following link to a video simulation of I-75 improvements from Fowler north to SR 52. Also note that the BBD flyover ramp has been completed since the making of the video. LINK TO VIDEO SIMULATION