Monday, February 08, 2010

SR 56 extension from Mansfield to Meadow Pointe Blvd. delayed AGAIN!

Lately I have been receiving an e-mail every two or three days from the readers of this blog,  inquiring about the status of the opening of SR 56 from Mansfield to Meadow Pointe Blvd.  (There have not been any recent updates on its opening in our local papers.)   Previously promised to open in November/December, then more lately in February, you may have noticed that work seems to have come to a standstill lately.  Well, you are right.  In an e-mail inquiry to the Pasco County Project Manager this morning about the status of the opening of the extension, I received the following response: 

"The project has stopped, the contractor has been removed due to non performance the Bonding Company has begun to coordinate the completion."

.....and this from County Commissioner Mulieri:  "We had to give a 70 day extension."

So there you go folks.  Delayed again!  (Sorry, that's all the info I have at this time.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for the information... I was wondering.

Apparently its really hard to pave a flat road...!

Any idea when it will be done. I thought this road was a priority to Pasco since it was an outlet for when the construction on SR 54 get "messier"

Thanks for your wonderful work!

Unknown said...

It's almost funny. I remember years ago, the 3.0 +/- extension was in the design stage. It was taking longer because: "it was a complex road". At the time I thought, Oh brother!

No, I don't know any more at this time. The info I received via e-mail was pretty brief as you can see in the above quotes. I expect the local papers will read this and do interviews with local reps to give us more details, so stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

I have been checking your site everyday for an update on SR 56!

Thanks for the info and keeping us up to date!!!

I'll keep checking!

Anonymous said...

Anyone tempted to drive, bicycle, or even walk down this still closed road should be aware that the Pasco Co. S.O. is harrassing anyone they find on it claiming that they are tresspassing. Actually, this is a grey area of law in that public highways are as the name implies - open to the public. On the other hand, construction sites are not. On the other other hand, constuction has stopped so it is no longer a construction site. I suggest a civil disobedience action by at least walkers and cyclists to claim this public right-of-way as ours whether it is "officially" open or not!

Unknown said...

Gee, I don't quite understand why this is such an issue with them with walkers and folks on bicycles. Is crime so low that this is the best use of their time?